Yoakum was incorporated on May 13, 1889 with the first Mayor being L.W. Thomas.
The first light and water plant was promoted by a gentleman by the name of Jim Blanks in 1891 who later passed it on to the Yoakum Improvement Company, to be succeeded in 1913 by L. L. Stephenson and the Texas-Louisiana Power company. Then in between 1931 to 1932 the Municipal Electric and Water plant was formed.
City Hall relocated to 808 Hwy 77-A South beside Sonic in Yoakum on January 28, 2008. This building was previously owned by TexTan Western. Our open house was held on May 29, 2008.